Friday, December 19, 2008

A Christmas Tradition

Making homemade Christmas cookies is a tradition that has been in my family for years. My mom, my sissy, and I have been doing it for as long as I can remember. It is one of my favorite events of the year. My mom makes sugar cookie dough from scratch! It is DELICIOUS(even raw)! We then cut them out with using different Christmas shapes and symbols. The cookie cutters we use are very special to us. They were given to us by my Grandma Doris(my mom's mom). She used them to make cookies for my mom and her brothers and sisters when they were little. We decorate the cookies with homemade icing once they are cool. We aren't the best cookie decorators, but we have a lot of fun doing it!
This year we had two extra "little" helping hands, my 17 month old niece, Carly. She wanted to do everything we did. She thought you were supposed to eat the flour!
I can't wait to share this tradition and others with John Turner. I also can't wait to make some family traditions of our own!

My mom getting the dough ready


My niece, Carly, cutting her first cookie out



She wanted to help sooo bad! She enjoyed eating the flour also!


These are my grandma's cookie cutters


Before they went in the oven


We are not the best cookie decorators, but we have fun doing it!



Since John Turner couldn't help with the cookies this year, here are a couple of cute shots of him!

1 comment:

Christi said...

What a fun tradition! I think I should start this tradition with Audrey! There are so many things I want to do with her!