Tuesday, September 22, 2009

12 Month Check-Up

We took John Turner to visit his pediatrician Monday for his twelve month check-up and shots. He weighed in at 19 lbs 4 oz and was 30 inches long. He has grown two inches since his 9 month check-up, but he hasn't gained an ounce! I was a little concerned about the no weight gain, but the doctor didn't seem too concerned about it so that made me feel better. She said it is very normal for kids at this age to slow down on the weight gain because they are so active. Since we don't weigh 20 pounds yet, we will be still facing backwards in our new car seat!

Since John Turner was born we have known that his frenulum is connected to his tongue in a way that doesn't allow him to stick his tongue all the way out. I was born with this same problem and had my frenulum clipped when I was two years old. This could lead to speech problems when he is older. We are going to go and visit a pediatric ENT in the next few months and see if he thinks John Turner needs to go ahead and have his clipped, or if we need to wait on his speech to develop and see if there is a problem. I will keep everyone posted on this.

While he was there he got a whole bunch of shots. He did great with the shots. It is always so much worse on me than it is on him! He came home and took a long nap. After he got up from his nap, had some milk, and snuggled with his daddy for a while he was fine!

1 comment:

Christi said...

Look at those bandaids on those thighs!! That always breaks my heart! Did he get a flu shot?

I made him a surprise but now I'm not so sure he's going to be able to get any use out of it! I don't want to say too much because I don't want to ruin it but it should be at your house when you get back from the beach.

Finally-- is the tongue thing the same thing as tongue-tied? I have heard of that a lot now that I've had a little one. Apparently it is more common than people think!